I was inspired by the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog to make this canvas. The challenge was to make something starting with the letter B.
Then the Wednesday challenge’s theme was Things that Fly. How perfect! I used a canvas board from the Dollar store that I prepped a while ago. I started with some patterned paper strips which you really can’t see but they do add some texture. I covered that with gesso. Then I randomly added some texture paste using three different Prima stencils. Then I experimented with the new Prima line of art supplies, using the white crackle paste to apply a thin, splotchy, uneven layer over the canvas, adding a bit more in blobs near the edges. I left it that way until I decided what I wanted to do with it.
I’m a big fan of Laura Bassen and her love of rainbows has worn off on me. So I went with a bold fun paint scheme. Usually when I do mixed media art, I use Golden Fluid Acrylic paints which are much higher quality than craft paint. But I didn’t have all the colours I needed so I went with some craft paint. Wow, what a difference. Besides the opacity (fluid acrylics are somewhat translucent), there was a huge difference in drying time and workability.
I can keep adding water and move the fluid paints around almost indefinitely while the craft paints didn’t react to the water in the same way. You can see the difference near the stencilling. In the purple and pink areas, the fluid paint pooled nicely just like I wanted it to. But the craft paint didn’t thin out in the same way so it covered everything more equally for a less dynamic effect. But if you want opacity, the craft paints are great!
I randomly stamped a couple background stamps without using a block which makes it patchy and uneven. The butterflies were created by stamping on die cuts of Art Parts Clear Film. I made the stamp using Quikutz stamping foam which I die cut using a Memory box die. Then I cut the art film with the matching solid die and stamped it with Staz-On ink. Then you form the butterflies into any shape you want with a heat gun.
You can’t keep it too close or it will start to shrink but it can take quite a bit of heat from a bit further back. The die cut bodies and antennae from black cardstock and covered them with black Liquid Pearls. The middles sunk for some reason but I liked how it looked anyways. More insect like and less perfect. The word was hand drawn, cut from cardstock and covered with white Glossy Accents.
If you have any questions, let me know. I’m also entering this in the Crazy for Challenges #277 to bring on the bling. I used rhinestones, Liquid Pearls and sequins on this.
Stamps: French Script-SU!, Moroccan background-A.Muse
Ink: Staz-on black, Archival black
Paper: Basic Grey Curio
Accessories: rhinestones-Taylors tiny twinkles, sequins-Pretty Pink Posh, Clearly for Art Film, Quickutz stamping foam, Liquid Pearls-Ranger, various craft paints, Golden Fluid Acrylic paints, flowers-stash, Liquitex embossing paste, Prima stencils, Golden gesso